Thursday, November 6, 2008

911 twice in 5 days...

Well, Tuesday was another interesting day at school. 5th period I was walking out of the front office and happened to see one of my seniors who is pregnant walking by. She looked like she was in a lot of pain so I got her into the dean's office to sit down. I knew either something was wrong or she was going into labor. The nurses came down and I called 911. She was in fact having contractions, they were only 1.5 minutes apart and the 911 responder asked if I could see any part of the baby! I said "You mean like sticking out of her?! No, but she has her clothes on so I don't know". Inside I was thinking "ARE YOU CRAZY! THERE IS NO WAY I WOULD BE LOOKING ANYWHERE AROUND THAT AREA!" Then she proceeded to tell me what to do to prepare for the birth which included removing all clothing from the waist down. I answered to this with "well the school nurses are here". She told me I may still need to do any or all of these steps so I listened. But again inside I was thinking, "HECK NO AM I TAKING OFF MY STUDENT'S CLOTHING, ESPECIALLY ALL CLOTHING FROM THE WAIST DOWN!" The paramedics finally came and took her to the hospital. Her sister came into my office 30min later to tell me the baby was born. I'm glad she left when she did because that was super fast and I might have actually had to do some of those crazy things.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

wow amanda! that's so exciting! once i had a teacher in 8th grade who was really really pregnant. i used to day dream in class that she'd go into labor and i'd deliver the baby right there in the classroom. weird, i know. i'm sure we already established that i'm nuts.